20 January 2010

Appreciating the Little Things

One of my fondest memories from France is just sitting in the park and taking in the beauty all around. Stopping. Taking a break from the hustle and bustle of life and enjoying the moment. Savoring the experience. Observing life.






















(Parc de la Tete d'Or, photo from Flickr.com)

I was lucky enough to have found a place to live just a ten minute walk from one of France's largest urban parks Parc de la Tête d'Or (Park of the Golden Head, literally) that was built in 1857 (Sometimes it astounds me how old and how much history lies within Europe. I think it's because the United States is still so young in comparison to the whole of Europe). To me, it's very reminiscent of Central Park. It just has that vibe. I would go to the park on occasion just to walk around and think. And it was some of the best thinking I could have done. No distractions. No interruptions. Just reflection.

My friends and I would meet at the park for picnics and fun. We'd lie around on blankets and stare at the sky. We'd eat une baguette avec du fromage (French baguette with cheese) or grab a gaufre avec Nutella (waffle with Nutella) from the park vendor. We'd take time from our regularly scheduled programming to just...relax. It. was. stellar.

A couple of months ago, when I was in a "I'm in a new place and I have no friends or family around" type of funk, two of my friends that I studied abroad with called me. It was so good to hear familiar voices.

They said, "Guess where we are."

I said, "California?" (Because well, I knew at least that they were calling from there.)

They said, "Yeah, but guess where!"

I had no idea. I was cooped up in our air conditioned apartment trying to beat the summer heat. I had no good conjectures.

"We're at the park!" They said, with such joy in their voices. "Lying on a blanket, staring at the sky."

In that moment, I was brought back. Brought back to a place where time ticked by a lot slower. Where all the distractions were muted. Where the sky was blue and the sun was warm. And it felt like nothing else mattered.

You know, I long for those moments. Where it feels like everything has stopped, even for a few minutes, to take in the scenery and appreciate the little things. The green grass. The blue sky. The chirping birds (as long as they aren't too loud!). To be able to take a deep cleansing breath. To thank God for all the blessings in my life. To be alive and healthy and living life as much as I can.

While those moments have been fewer and far between, I'm going to make time this year. In fact, there's a park just footsteps from our street. And although it's no Parc de la Tête d'Or, it's still a place where reflection can happen. Where everything can just stop, even for a few minutes. To take deep breaths. To take in the little things.

To find the joie de vivre.

Merci a tous,
Catie


Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. i've had those moments too after moving to CA..."i don't know anyone! eekkk!" but you're right, you have to find a special place to visit, whether it's a great memory or a phone with dear friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had many moments like that today. Went on a walk to the park today and appreciated the sunshine and relative warmth. Forty degrees! Enjoy the little moments!

    ReplyDelete

J'adore comments! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing the journey with me.