18 January 2010

The Phone Call

This blog isn't even seven days old, and it's totally rocked my world. For real.

Last week, I had the opportunity and sincere honor of attending Lara Casey's Making Things Happen Intensive in Dallas. And it was amazing. It was empowering. It changed the game.

I mean, I knew that this intensive was going to be good. I just didn't know that it was going to be that good. I had no idea that I would walk away with my dreams on paper and spoken aloud to a group of strangers turned friends. I could have never predicted what I would experience that day.

In fact, I almost didn't have this experience. I had known about the tour and I had been following Lara's blog posts (which, if you need firing up, go read them, NOW!), but based on the cost alone and the current state of my business, I just couldn't justify the cost. No matter how much I tried to rationalize it, it just wasn't in the cards. Or so I thought.

Lara Casey, who is seriously one of the most amazing women I've met to date, ran a contest on her blog for a free seat to one of the intensives. And thanks to the amazing people who attended the first Making Things Happen Intensive in Watercolor, FL, they organized a scholarship and raised $700+ to send a lucky person to the intensive. Amazing. I read through the post and I read the other comments from other inspiring folks with their stories. I thought that there was no way my comment would win. But on the other hand, if I didn't at least try, I would never know. So, I did it anyway.

Monday afternoon, I was running my usual errands, and I received a phone call. I didn't recognize the number so I didn't pick up. Later, when I checked the number, it said it was from North Carolina. Hmmm. I didn't know anyone from there. But then, I checked my voicemail. It was a message from Southern Weddings Magazine, calling about the Making Things Happen tour. My heart started beating. Fast. I tried finding the best spot in my house to make a phone call (reception is spotty at best, and I didn't want to miss a second), and called them back. And left a message.

Twenty minutes later, I received a phone call. It was Emily of Southern Weddings Magazine
. Then the phone signal started to waver. I rushed outside so that I could hear what she was telling me. "Story. Liked. Offer. Partial scholarship." These were the words I heard. Thankfully, I found a spot on the front lawn that had better reception and repeated the details back to Emily to confirm I heard them correctly.

They were touched by my story and wanted to offer me a partial scholarship to Making Things Happen.

My heart was racing at that point. I thanked Emily and said I would get back to her in 24 hours.

I literally started pacing. Around my house. Pacing. I probably looked crazy. But I think better when I'm active.

So I considered my options. I could turn it down and potentially regret it for the rest of my life. Or I could take opportunity by the reigns and quite literally, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

I talked to my husband. I explained the story. I told him about the books (another blog post to come). I told him about the signs (also another story). He said, "You should do it."

The next morning I nervously typed out an email to Emily. I laid it out on the table. I spoke from the heart. I told her I couldn't not take the opportunity. About ten minutes later, I receive an email from Lara herself, inviting me to Making Things Happen and thrilled to offer me the partial scholarship. A-MAZING.

I did a happy dance. I jumped up and down. I was fired up.

It was the phone call that started it all.

I totally didn't think that my little comment on a blog would leave a mark. But I also would have never known if I didn't try.

I love Lara's quote, "Feel the FEAR, and do it ANYWAY."

Seriously, what's the worst that could happen?

Is there anything holding you back? Something you've always wondered or wanted, but haven't tried because of fear?

Feel the fear, and do it anyway.

It just might change your life. It could be your joie de vivre.

Merci a tous,
Catie


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Catie!
    You rock and I love that you've put the dream in action. 1/15/10 is a day that will have a big asterisk on my calendar. Thanks for your leadership and showing us how to shake our worlds!

    ReplyDelete

J'adore comments! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing the journey with me.