17 January 2010

Deep Conversations

There's nothing quite like a deep conversation. The kind that digs deeper than the weather or everyday activities. The kind that challenges you and makes your heart smile. The kind that you never want to end.

lily pond
(Author's collection. From Monet's Garden in Giverny, France 2003)

I relish deep conversations. I cherish each and every moment, and when they are over, I try to replay them in my head. Because they were that good. The conversations impact my life and make me rethink what I'm doing. In a good way.

Some of my favorite memories of meaningful, introspective conversations are from my year in France. Life seemed to pass by so much slower there. Probably because it was so new, and every day was a new adventure. Nothing had become a routine yet.

Something as simple as going to the boulangerie to buy bread was an adventure. The greeting, "Bonjour Madame," the ordering, "Je voudrais une baguette, s'il vous plait," the purchasing, and the closing, "Merci Madame, bonne journee."And if you missed any of that, you could be pegged the rude American. Just sayin'.

In France, I had time. I had time to sit at a cafe and contemplate life. Envision my goals. Imagine my wildest dreams coming true. I had time to think. I had time to have deep conversations.

I was the only student from my campus (in the University of California system) to go to Lyon that year, so I didn't know anyone. At first this thought intimidated me, having always considered myself a shy person, and the prospect of having to make new friends kind of freaked me out. But on the other hand, I saw this as an opportunity to meet new people who knew nothing about me. No preconceived notions about what they might have heard about me. Maybe some people would like me. Maybe some wouldn't. But I was okay with that.

The friendships I made that year were nothing short of amazing. I'm still close friends with them now. And it was during that year in France that I learned what a deep conversation can do for your life. How much you can learn in a span of a couple of hours. How much you can learn about your friends and yourself while chatting into the wee hours of the night. That there is nothing more precious than a handful of friends who you can trust with your hopes, dreams, and fears with. The friends you can ask any question and they won't think you're crazy or stupid.

It's those friends and types of relationships I want to surround myself with. It's those relationships that I cherish most.

And now, while my deep conversations happen a lot less often, I still hold them dear to my heart. In the last couple of days, I've had the pleasure of reconnecting with friends I haven't spoken to in months. Having those conversations I never want to end. Sharing those deep thoughts. Those crazy dreams. The things that fire me up. The things that embody joie de vivre.

In my journey for finding the joie de vivre,  I'm going to connect with those friends more often. I'm going to make time. Because it's relationships like those that change lives. Change minds. Change the world. Excuses are easy. But making things happen is what it's about.

Have you had a deep conversation lately? Have you shared your hopes, dreams, and fears? If you haven't, what's holding you back?

Pick up the phone.

You never know what experience or opporunity lies on the other end.

Merci a tous,
Catie


Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world! I'm a newbie as well. I love your blog name and the meaning behind it. To be honest, I haven't had a deep meaningful conversation in quite some time. This day in age, I typically use lot of social media or texting to connect with others. I really need to do a better job about just picking up the phone and calling a friend and talking for hours!!! I probably only do that about once a month... and that's just not enough! I'm excited to see more of your posts and I'm sure it will inspire me to do better things. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this awesome reminder. I unexpectedly had a deep conversation last night and it felt so liberating and awesome. I hadn't had that feeling in a long time and that convo and your pose are inspiring me to strive for those connections more. Thank you Catie! :)

    ReplyDelete

J'adore comments! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing the journey with me.