25 January 2010

Thoughts vs. Actions

I've been thinking a lot of about thinking lately. I'm sure that sounds funny. I've been doing a lot of reflection to identify and concretely find my passion. Because passion makes me feel alive. Having a purpose makes me feel on top of the world. It makes me feel like I am here on earth for a reason.

I recently read Chris Guillebeau's post titled What You Don't Do Doesn't Matter. Basically, he talks about how he was thinking about doing certain things, such as buying flowers, doing something for someone else, completely emptying his inbox, sending more money to Haiti. And yet, that's all it ended up being: thinking about it.

And he made a very good point writing, Thinking about someone doesn't help them.

This struck me.

Because it's so true. Thinking about doing something is not the same as doing it. It may be nice to think about going to the gym and working out, but's it's not the same as actually getting out of the house and breaking a sweat.

And while it's wonderful to reflect and think about all the amazing things I want to do, it has no bearing if I don't take the steps to get there. That's what this blog is. An action. An action put out into the blogosphere. A step closer to finding my joie de vivre.

This also applies to my professional life. As a wedding photographer who recently moved to a completely new market and a totally different state, I've been thinking about ways to get my name out there and connect with other vendors. I have been thinking about working with other wedding vendors and organizing photo shoots. But until this point in time it was just a thought.

I was feeling discouraged. I was feeling frustrated. I was almost ready to throw in the towel.

Enter Lara Casey's Making Things Happen Intensive. After attending, it reignited my fire for my fledgling business I had a new perspective and realized that no one was holding me back but myself. Seriously. The entire fall season I had just been thinking about doing it. No wonder it never happened.

But now I'm making it happen. I'm taking the little steps and putting them into action.

Because thinking is not doing.

And while I believe that thinking and reflection is so important to the process, taking action is even more powerful. So if there's something you've been thinking about doing lately, why not do it? Why not figure out the steps that will get you one step closer to what you want to do or what you want to be?

Want to be a helicopter pilot? Go find out the requirements for becoming one.

Want to go to Europe this summer? Start researching for tickets and hotel prices. Look for advice on blogs.

Want to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity? Go to their website and find out how to become a volunteer.

It's a lot easier when you break the steps you need to take down into baby steps. It's a lot less intimidating. And a lot more doable!

What's your joie de vivre? What's your first action step?

Merci a tous,
Catie

5 comments:

  1. Your writing is always so inspiring and I love how you've taken the subject of DOING something versus thinking about doing it. As always, thank you so much for sharing so much for yourself with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the power boost Catie!! I appreciate your sincerity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this blog! I have been wanting to do photography for years as a professional and this last fall I decided to start taking steps toward this goal. Thank you for writing your personal experiences and the article link to "take action" is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this blog and the kick in the behind. Love what you are doing and this message is just what I needed to hear today. Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post was just what I needed to read today. I am taking classes so I can change careers. It's been a rough first week of working and school but it helps to remember that I am going for something I want and not just talking about it.

    ReplyDelete

J'adore comments! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing the journey with me.