03 February 2010

Don't wait for perfect

I think "perfect" is a myth. It doesn't really exist. Just ask a perfectionist. Nothing is ever perfect.

I was reading a post on Marc and Angel Hack Life, called "Less than Perfect is the Perfect Start." They talk about how there is no "perfect" time to start a project, so just start it. Waiting around until everything is set and ready and "doing it right" will just delay the start. Fear of failure paralyzes progress.

Marc says to his friend, “The only way you can fail is by not writing – by waiting around until you have the perfect plan before you start.  Because ‘perfect’ doesn’t exist.  It isn’t human.  It isn’t you."

This is so true.

I remember when I started my wedding photography blog. At first I had started a Blogger blog, but after some time I knew that if I wanted to really pursue it, I would have to buy my own domain name. The fear of messing up held me back. There was something about purchasing a domain name and hosting service that scared me. I know, they make it so easy nowadays, but I wanted to get it "right" and "perfect" which was just silly.

So I bought my domain name. I scoured the internet for how to redirect my domain name to my Blogger blog. And I did it. I was able to go to WPPI (huge convention and tradeshow for professional photographers) with my business card in hand with my own domain name on it. Woo hoo!

After returning from my first WPPI experience, I knew that I had to start hosting my own blog and make it look pretty. With some deep reflection, I knew that my Blogger blog just wasn't reflecting me quite right. I was trying to be who I thought others thought I should be. I got stuck in the "What should I be doing?" and "What is everyone else doing?"

So instead of waiting for the perfect moment to launch my new blog, I worked furiously over two weeks and pulled the trigger. Check it out. This was almost a year ago. And while it's still not "perfect" and I don't think it ever will be anywhere close to perfection, it's so much closer to who I am as a person and photographer. 

And I'll admit it. The same thing happened to me before I launched my website. I was waiting to get it "right" and "perfect" until I got the wake up call that it was a silly expectation to myself. I got it to where I needed it to be, and said "Let's do this!"

I think waiting for "perfect" is an easy way out of pursuing your dreams. There is no perfect. Accept the idea of "good enough" and strive for excellence. Something excellent may not be "perfect" but it's still excellent. And in school, getting an "A" stands for "Excellent"!

So if you've been dreaming about writing a blog, start writing.

If you've been thinking about photography, start taking photos.

If you've been wanting to read a new book, go pick it up from the library or bookstore.

There's no time like the present to start exploring your joie de vivre.

That's how I started this blog. At the encouragement of two amazing people, and support from seventeen others, I just started writing. I almost got caught up in trying to find a name for this project, but Lara Casey and Jeff Holt encouraged me to just start. Start it up and finding the name would be a part of the journey. That's how I came to "Project: Joie de Vivre". This is a work in progress that is just starting to unfold.

So what's holding you back?

Is it trying to to get something perfect before starting? Hey, failure happens. But then you'll be ten steps ahead to get to the next goal!

Don't wait for perfect.

Just start.

Merci a tous,
Catie

2 comments:

  1. 1) Perfect does exist. You know this b/c you've met me.
    2) What do you think about the difference between "perfect" and "right?" Is it a mistake to start a blog or business without having a foundation to build upon? What I mean is, though things may never be perfect, how do you know it's right enough to start?

    ReplyDelete

J'adore comments! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing the journey with me.