11 February 2010

Snowy Recharge

I've only ever experienced snow falling twice in my life. Once in France on my twenty-first birthday. And once today. I woke up to a blanket of snow.

Yes, I've played in snow. Yes, I've gone skiing. But, I've only witnessed snow actually falling twice. And today marks the second time.

I grew up almost my entire life in California. I'm a city girl by nature, and snow is pretty much foreign to me. I don't have an appropriate coat. I don't have waterproof gloves.

And it got me thinking.

What are some of life's little mysteries that you are thankful for?

Granted, it might not be snow for most people, especially with all of the snow dumping on the East Coast! However, I think it prompts a moment to consider what are the little things in life that you love and appreciate?

Is it having coffee and journaling?

Is it the ten minutes of peace and quiet in the morning?

Is it rain or a thunderstorm?

Is it your spouse or significant other looking out for you?

It doesn't matter what it is or how it's manifested, but it's important to think of those things. Take and moment, step back, and say thanks.

I remember the morning of my twenty-first birthday. I heard that it might be snowing. I didn't have class that day, so I bundled up in my "Siberia" coat (that's what my friends and I called our long, down-filled coats), boots, and gloves, and headed outside. I took the metro and the funiculaire up to Notre Dame de Fourviere (Our Lady of Fourviere), a huge cathedral in the hills of Lyon, overlooking the entire city.

It was beautiful.

I was by myself, with time to think, and reflect on my birthday, and it was wonderful.

I think sometimes we just need a little quiet time by ourselves. To reflect. To think freely. To recharge.

Life moves too quickly. With the constant barrage of information from social media, the Internet, television, from our friends and family, it can be hard to keep up. I know that I struggle with this. I'm constantly distracted by things that are online, following people on Twitter, reading blogs, a pinging iPhone, and everything in between It can be hard to focus on what makes us happy because we are so busy making others happy.

And while there's nothing wrong with that, it's wonderful to help others and make other happy, there will come a moment when we realize that we have to take care of ourselves too. In order to be able to fully serve others, we must attend to ourselves as well.

The other night I was totally exhausted. I spent the whole day at a workshop learning and improving my skills to build a great business. But at the end of the day, my brain was just friend. I wanted to catch up with all the things that I had missed during the day, such as emails and blogs, but I could hardly form a sentence. My husband looked at me and saw how tired I was, and suggested that I go to bed.

And with a little bit of resistance, I finally surrendered and headed to bed. Because I wasn't doing anyone, especially myself, any good. I had to take care of myself. And he recognized that. And that's why I love him.

With a fresh mind and a fresh perspective, I am better able to serve others. I am better able to blog here. I am able to refocus on my joie de vivre.

Do you need to recharge? Do you need to attend to yourself?

This will help you get clear on what your joie de vivre is.

Merci a tous,
Catie

No comments:

Post a Comment

J'adore comments! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing the journey with me.