15 February 2010

On Encouragement

One of the most powerful things that we can give to others is encouragement.



Encouragement can change the world. One person at a time.

When I decided that I wanted to study abroad in France, I had the wholehearted encouragement from my family. They assured me that it would be an amazing time. While I had no doubts about this at all, it was so nice to have that kind of back up support, cheering me on my way.

Often, I think encouragement can be overlooked and taken for granted. Like when I get crazy busy or stressed out in my own life, I don't take the time to encourage those around me. Instead, I start looking for points of criticism. And this is where things can take a turn for the worst. I start to join others in speculating "why" something wouldn't work. How it could never happen. What a failure it may be.

Or perhaps, there are times when things aren't going quite as I planned, and I have friend who is experiencing amazing success. There are two paths to choose from.

To criticize. To be jealous. To get upset.

Or.

To encourage. To support. To celebrate.

It's all about perspective.

It's easy to criticize. To tear someone done. To look for flaws. To join the masses of people who exist merely to point out all that is less than perfect.

But imagine a world of encouragement. Where everyone was supportive of your success and choices. Where accomplishments are celebrated and dreams are realized. Because of a little encouragement.

In a world filled with doubt and anxiety, a little encouragement can go a long way. In the times when I feel that something just isn't going to work out, a word of encouragement can turn it around. In a moment when I feel like "I just can't anymore," an encouraging hug or sentiment can be just the push that I need to keep going.

It was tough for me to go out on a limb and decide to do what I love. And just go for it. To not have the "safety net" of a regular job and not necessarily knowing where the next paycheck is coming from. And I know that I would have never have done it without the encouragement of family and friends. The encouragement serves as huge source of support to move forward in the direction of my dreams. To find my joie de vivre.

So if you are chasing your dreams, I encourage you.

Go ahead. Reach for it. You will get there.

Encourage someone today. It may be just what they need.

Merci a tous,
Catie

2 comments:

  1. You are so awesome, Catie! Thank you for being you and encouraging me through your openness and honest heart and talent. :) Looking forward to WPPI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nowadays is very much needed as people need it more and more to move forward and not get stuck... ;)

    ReplyDelete

J'adore comments! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing the journey with me.