08 February 2010

What do you love to do?

I was asked today what I enjoy doing in my spare time.

What do I love to do? And you know what? I totally struggled answering the question, which seemed strange to me. I know what I like to do, so why couldn't I answer the question succinctly?

Why was identifying what I love to do a difficult question?

Could you answer the question without hesitation?

The question stemmed from a conversation about how to start building a new network after having moved to a new location away from family and friends. Because that is the boat that I am in. I moved to Texas about six months ago from California. My husband has been living in Texas for the last three years and it was finally time to be int he same place at the same time after we got married in July. It was a huge move for me. Especially since I was moving away from everyone I knew to a place where I knew no one.

We brainstormed ways to meet new people.

So I was asked what I love to do.

Well, I love reading, but I know that a book club is just not for me. I enjoy reading for the love of reading and learning people's stories.

I love watching movies, but movie-watching isn't the most social activity. And I also would not be into a film club, analyzing movies and plots. I just like to watch movies for the entertainment factor.

I also love to write posts and read blogs, and are an AMAZING resource for meeting anywhere in the world. However, meeting people in person is more difficult through blogs, unless bloggers are upfront about their location.

After we hashed out some ideas, this question stuck with me.

Then I really thought about it. Like really thought out about. And it hit me.

One of my most favorite pastimes is simply spending time chatting and talking about life. Being social in a one-on-one setting. Learning someone's story and what drives them. Learning what they love and what inspires them. Evolving an acquaintance into a friend.

I remember when I was studying abroad in France, this was what I did all the time. And it's almost like France is totally designed for it--what with the outdoor cafes, park benches, and town squares--it's an amazing playground for talking and building relationships.

And if I was going to have any friends to hang out with that year, it was a must. I couldn't be shy. I couldn't be a recluse. I had to get to know people. And I learned that I loved it. I loved listening to all the stories. I love listening to everyone's experiences.

So what do you love to do?

What is it deep down that feeds your soul and gets you excited?

This is an important and necessary step in finding and identifying your joie de vivre.

The joy of living. What is it that you love?

If you don't know, or can't name it concretely, start thinking.

Merci a tous,
Catie


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

J'adore comments! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing the journey with me.